BFK will again hold our Public Bike Art Competition in 2021, thanks to a generous grant from The Vicksburg Foundation. Take a look at the winning entries from our 2020 Bike Art Competition to see what we mean by “bike art” — we are talking about two-dimensional artistic expressions (rather than artfully designed or delightfully decorated bicycles). We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
The final vote tabulation for 2021 will be made public during the Bike Art Competition Award Ceremony held on Saturday September 19 during the Fall Bike Celebration Weekend. See Schedule HERE.
The competition opens July 14; the deadline for all submissions is September 2, 2021 at 11:59ET. We look forward to receiving entries throughout this period!
Bike Friendly Kalamazoo (BFK), together with patrons of the arts throughout greater Kalamazoo, is hosting a public art competition to select art intended for public display to celebrate the joy and benefits of bicycling. Announcement of the winning entries will be one of the highlights of BFK’s Fall Bike Celebration Weekend during the third weekend of September. The digital format for entries makes this an ideal competition for desktop artists or artists in any medium who can render their work digitally.
There is no fee to enter. All entrants are to submit their bicycle-themed artwork digitally, all of which will be posted online. The Juried awards shall be decided by a Jury Committee composed of art, municipal and civic representatives who comprise BFK’s Bike Art Competition Committee. First, Second and Third place cash prize winners will be selected by the Jury Committee. Jury-awarded cash prizes are: First Place: $1,000, Second Place: $500, and Third Place: $250.
A major goal of BFK’s Public Bike Art Competition is to increase the public display of artistic works that we believe will increase public appreciation of and support for bicycling. Funds we hope to raise through the sale of art submitted in this competition will support causes such as improved bicycling safety, education & awareness-building and increased ridership. We believe art has the power to enhance the sheer joy of bicycling!
What follows are BFK’s Public Bike Art Competition Official Rules and guidelines.
- The art must express the joys of bicycling.
- Typical sizing for street banners is 30” x 94” and 18” x 36;” typical sizing for other formats is 11″ x 11″ and 11.5″ x 14″ – submit your art in ALL four specific size proportions.
- Entrants may enter the competition once, using versions of the same idea for all sizes.
- Artwork must be high resolution (at least 300ppi) – resolution; limited guidance may be provided to achieve this if requested.
- The background colors can be any color, including black or white.
- A 6” top and 6” bottom to the large banner sizes is to contain color, but no design. The other sizes are “edge to edge.”
- The designs can bleed onto the sides – a visual frame is not necessary.
- Entrants will retain copyright in contest entries; via their submission entrants grant Bike Friendly Kalamazoo unlimited rights to use and sell the artwork submitted, rendered in any medium, to advance BFK’s charitable purposes.
- Artwork submitted shall be the entrant’s original work, which the entrant attests in writing to, by virtue of submitting the entry.
- Designs containing unoriginal emblems, logos or including/promoting an organization or service will not be considered.
- Current Jury Committee, their employees and their immediate families are not eligible to submit an Entry.
ENTRY REGISTRATION, VOTING AND PRIZES
To register for BFK’s Public Bike Art Competition, entrants must submit their artwork using the Official Entry Form. Entrants must print out, complete and sign the Form, and convert it into electronic format to submit, together with a total of eight digital artwork files rendering the same essential theme: one for each of the two banner sizes AND one for each of the two smaller sizes, and each of those four sizes in two required file formats: PDF and PNG. Email the files to the email address listed at the bottom of the form. IMPORTANT: Include the Title of your piece in the Subject line. You may use use a separate email for each file submitted if you need to, say, due to file size restrictions. Do not submit the files in a link to a file storage website. Attach your Official Entry Form to every email which contains attached artwork. You may compress a file or submit it in smaller proportions consistent with the required dimensions, as long as the PDF format allows scaling. Entries submitted in the form of a link to another web site will not be considered. Artwork received will be shared with the Jury for review and voting.
- reside within the United States of America (USA) and be a US Citizen 18 years of age or older;
- use an email service with a domain registered within the USA.
Note to artists: Please make sure all entry materials you have submitted are complete, Please reply quickly to communications you receive related you entries. Out of respect for the artists, the Chair of the Jury Committee asks us to moderate or close off comments on specific pieces if they appear on our own Facebook page. Communication with the judges or sponsors is not encouraged unless they reach out to you. One Title (Entry) is permitted per entrant; reasonable variations are permitted to accommodate the four dimensional size requirements.
Juried Award cash prizes are:
1st Place $1,000
2nd Place $500
3rd Place $250
All cash prizes, honorable mentions and honoraria, etc., will be finalized and awarded through a Jury Committee who will review the work based on the Rules and per the following broad guidelines. These broad guidelines may further be clarified by the Jury Committee as they deem best to facilitate their work and are subject to change without notice.
- Bicycle theme – use of “bicycle art” is part of the creative design; one or more bicycles (or portions thereof) must be evident.
- Use of color – colors selected and the background must be engaging and complementary from typical viewing distances, for example, when displayed on lampposts and similar mountings.
- Print integrity – artwork must be print-able in each of the specified sizes (as outlined above)
- Appeal – the piece must appeal to municipal & commercial representatives from a practical perspective as worthy of purchase and public display.
DISPLAY OF ART AND USE OF WINNER’S SUBMISSIONS
The artwork is intended to be seen by the public. The awarded artwork will be used by BFK for the printing of banners and/or other items to advance Bike Friendly Kalamazoo’s mission as a non-profit public charity.
Entries will be judged without knowledge of the entrants’ identity. The Jury Committee reserves the right to validate and certify all entrants and their submissions, voting and to award fewer than the announced number and type of prizes depending on the entries received. Current Jury Committee members, employees and their immediate families are not eligible to submit an Entry. All Jury Committee decisions are final. The Official Entry Form, Rules and guidelines are subject to change without notice. 🙂
Please Share and Like our Bike Art Prize posting on Facebook @fallbikecelebration
CONTACT INFORMATION & MEDIA RELEASE
Please email entries and contact us for more information using the email address on our entry form.
A media release announcing the opening of BFK’s Public Bike Art Competition in 2021 is HERE.
It was a lot of fun to talk with WKZO Morning Show host Ken Lanphear on opening day of BFK’s Public Bike Art Competition, Wednesday July 14! You can hear a replay of the interview with BFK’s Paul Selden as his guest HERE.
A gallery of the winning contestants from 2020 is HERE. Technical considerations affect the sizes you see at any given time on various devices.